Internationale Konferenz, veranstaltet von Mitarbeitern der Anglistik/Amerikanistik an der Universität Augsburg:
Interest in questions of genre has never really flagged in continental European scholarship, however, and it is reviving in anglophone scholarship as well. Germany has retained a particularly lively interest in genre theory through all the theoretical “turns” of the late twentieth century. Our conference aims to add to these efforts and draw renewed attention to conceptions of genre and their role in poetry studies. These conceptions may be normative or descriptive; they may question or endorse the value of genre as a category of analysis; they may sustain or dismiss the notion that a genre describable as “poetry” exists. Potential areas of analysis include but are not limited to:
- poetry as genre: definitions, approaches, critiques
- genre/s in poetry: boundaries, evolution, innovation
- poetry and genre theory: Bakhtin, Frye, Genette, Derrida, etc.
- new approaches to poetry and genre : reader response, cognitive, space, trauma, cultural memory, linguistics, etc.
- the cultural politics of genre and/in poetry: nation, colonialism, race, gender, etc.
- the ethics of genre and/in poetry
- intermedial poetry: rap, slam, spoken word, etc.
- the institutional politics of genre and/in poetry
All events are free and open to the public. There is no registration fee.